Tip of the Week | Blog | Upcoming Events | What's New | About | Subscription
Online Version of this Issue Green Career Tips Archive
Highlighted Event: NOW Is The Time to Prepare for Your Green Career
- Should I act on my desire to have a green career NOW? Or should I wait?
- How do I choose a career direction when the economy keeps changing?
- What happens to my career if this move toward a sustainable economy is just a fad?
- Learn how to read the signals that the green economy is real and not just a fad.
- Discover why NOW is the perfect time to begin your quest for a green career.
- Find four ways you can prepare yourself to move into the green economy.
- Understand why having time to explore your options puts you in a position of power.
- Learn how to build your path to your green career while you are employed in another job.
- Uncover ways you can move toward your green career if you are currently out of work.
Tip of the Week: Moving from the Electric Grid to the Smart Grid: What You Need to Know Now
- Power generation. Power is generated through several means: from coal, oil and nuclear, to wind, solar, and geothermal.
- Power transmission. Power is then transmitted throughout the country using high voltage lines.
- Power distribution. The next step in the chain is to distribute the electricity from the substations to commercial, industrial, and residential users.
- Energy storage. Although utilities have always used energy storage systems to manage power, a wider range of users will use energy storage systems to store power from more variable sources of energy.
- User consumption management. A new component to the system is software that enables residential, commercial, and industrial customers manage their own power consumption in real time.
- Familiarize yourself with the overall structure of this sector. It’s going to be a big influence on every industry as the specifics of the smart grid unfold. You must have a general understanding of this sector, at a minimum.
- Dig a bit deeper. Choose a couple of the associations and governmental agencies to explore. In my experience, these websites are a treasure trove of information. Bookmark these websites, visit often, take your time, learn as much as you can.
- Look at what’s happening in your geographic area. Understanding the mix of power in your region gives you insights about the challenges your state faces in going green and becoming more sustainable.
Green Career Central Blog:
Membership Has Its Advantages!
"It's a hard to find an investment these days that pays for itself many times over but the annual fee for joining Green Career Central is certainly worth every penny. The process laid out is structured and easy to follow. It takes you through the steps to get a truer understanding what your interests and skills are and makes you excited about researching your career options, while giving you a sense of progress and accomplishment. The weekly tips and "how to" resources on the website are time saving and are in of themselves an invaluable resource. Thanks Carol."
This Week's Drawing for a
30-Day Trial Membership: julies
What's New at GreenCareerCentral.com
New Industry Profile
Feeling Stuck? Learn How to Move Forward
Listen to the Tip of the Week Podcast
Did You Know...
Copyright (c) 2007-2009. Transition Dynamics Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Green Career CentralTM is a trademark of Transition Dynamics Enterprises, Inc
PO Box 354, Menlo Park, CA 94026
650 322 8661 | Contact